NOTE/UPDATE: Additional Information has been added, since the initial date of this post on NextDoor.com, about the health and nutritional benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil, Lemon Essential Oil and Honey. Also, you may make and drink this tea as a glass of lemonade, as well (not heated). Either way, this beverage is a delicious and powerful health booster to a body’s respiratory system, in this time of Corona Virus/COVID-19, and year-round.
Here’s a tea recipe that my Grandmother Eunice made for us to expel phlegm from our bodies, while we were growing up. This tea is delicious and it works, time and time again. One cup is effective, don’t over do it. Using real lemon and real honey is important for this recipe to help the body expel the phlegm and aid the respiratory system.
The reason I’m sharing this time-tested tea recipe is that this tea will help your body expel phlegm from the body. As you all may know, by now, the Corona virus a.k.a COVID-19 impacts the respiratory system, particularly the lungs. Phlegm is the “Mucus, thicker than normal due to illness or irritation, coughed up from the respiratory tract.”. This tea will help your body expel the phlegm.
Here are the ingredients: 1) approximately 8 ounces of clean, drinkable, heated water, 2) 1 or 2 round, peppermint(s) with peppermint essential oil in it OR a few drops of peppermint essential oil, 3) a teaspoon or tablespoon of real honey, and 4) a slice of a lemon with the lemon peel on the lemon (lemon essential oil is in the peel). This tea is made “to taste”, which for us meant to be made with the least amount of peppermint and the least amount of honey mentioned above first, taste it and add the remaining measure until it taste delicious by the cup. Please, remember to use separate clean spoons if you’re making this for someone else. NOTE” Honey is NOT supposed to be given to children that are less than 1 year old (Google LINK to “At what age can children have honey?”: https://bit.ly/39LgwM5).
Articles about the Health Benefits of Peppermint Essential Oil, Lemon Essential Oil and Honey:
1) Peppermint Oil Benefits, Uses & Varieties – https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/products/all-about-peppermint-oil.html
2) Top 15 Peppermint Oil Uses and Benefits, for Gut Health, Headaches & More – https://draxe.com/essential-oils/peppermint-oil-uses-benefits/
3) All About Lemon Oil – https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/products/all-about-lemon-oil.html
4) Top 10 Lemon Essential Oil Uses and Benefits – https://draxe.com/essential-oils/lemon-essential-oil-uses-benefits/
5) Raw Honey Benefits for Healing + 20 Popular Honey Uses – https://draxe.com/nutrition/the-many-health-benefits-of-raw-honey/
6) Homemade Honey Herbal Cough Drops – https://draxe.com/beauty/cough-drops/
7) Benefits of Honey and Cinnamon: Are 2 Super-foods Better Than 1? – https://draxe.com/nutrition/benefits-of-honey-and-cinnamon/
8) 11 Proven Manuka Honey Benefits and Uses – https://draxe.com/nutrition/manuka-honey-benefits-uses/
Other Google (searched for) LINKS related to this informational post:
1) Definitions of PHLEGM: https://bit.ly/3aS1Koa
2) Corona affects the: https://bit.ly/2Xi2oaA
3) What happens to people’s lungs when they get Coronavirus?: https://bit.ly/2Xjfa8O
4) How to make a non-medical Coronavirus face mask – no sewing required: https://bit.ly/2UQyJ72
5) Respiratory system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_system
PS: In the photos that I’ve included for this post:
1) I’ve displayed empty containers of 2 of the 3 brands of honey I like to use (I only use one brand – no need to mix honey brands or flavors). The third brand is Blue Ridge Honey Company Wildflower Honey 100% Pure, Raw & Natural
2) I displayed a long, peppermint stick my Mom saved as a souvenir, because I didn’t have any round, flat peppermints on hand for the photo. If you have non-round peppermints you make break them to add a portion of it to your tea. If you have peppermint essential oil that’s even better because it has no sugar nor other ingredients.
One more thing, here’s an anti-virus/anti-COVID-19 ‘Script’, (featured in a blog post) for us to delight about: https://bit.ly/39RZdt1